Syracuse University

Financial Aid Information

Loan Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the Question for Information

How do I apply for the Federal Direct Loan?

You apply for a Federal Direct Loan automatically by filing the FAFSA. The Federal Direct Loan will be part of your financial aid award. After completing the FAFSA, you will also need to complete a Federal Master Promissory Note (MPN) and an Entrance Counseling Session, which can be found on your MySlice Financial Aid To Do List.

My award lists a Federal Perkins Loan. What paperwork do I need to file to receive this loan?

You will need to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for the loan, which can be found on your MySlice Financial Aid To Do List.

What is the difference between a Subsidized Federal Direct Loan and an Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan?
The government pays your interest on a subsidized loan while you are enrolled in college. The government does not pay your interest on an unsubsidized loan. You will either need to make interest payments while you are in school or defer your interest payments to begin after leaving/graduating from college. For more information, you may visit the Loan Section of our web site.