Syracuse University

Types of Financial Aid

  • Click on the items below to see more information.

    Life Science Entrance

Federal Direct PLUS Loan
Parents may borrow the Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan to help pay education costs for their dependent undergraduate children.

Federal Direct Student Loan Subsidized

Undergraduate students with financial need may borrow the subsidized Federal Direct Student Loan. The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest that accrues during enrollment.

Federal Direct Student Loan Unsubsidized

Undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree students enrolled at least half time, may borrow the unsubsidized Federal Direct Student Loan. This loan is not based on financial need, and interest is charged while you are enrolled. You may choose to defer the interest, but if this option is selected, the interest will be capitalized (added to the principal amount). You are responsible for paying the interest that accrues while attending school, and during the post-enrollment grace period.

Federal Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate and professional degree students may borrow the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan, a loan to help pay their educational expenses.

Federal Pell Grant
The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate students. Eligibility is determined through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application and is limited to 18 semesters.

Federal Perkins Student Loan

The Federal Perkins Loan provides low-interest loans to help students finance college costs. Perkins loans are awarded by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs, based on financial need, and the availability of funds.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
An FSEOG is awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to federal Pell grant recipients. The award, determined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs, is based on financial need and the availability of funds.

Federal TEACH Grant

The Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant  is for students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary, or secondary, school that serves students from low-income families. Grant recipients agree to teach for at least four years within eight years of finishing their teacher preparation program, and to teach high-need subjects in designated schools.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)
Federal Work Study is a part-time employment program. Work-study eligibility is awarded by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Programs and is based on financial need, and the availability of funds. Jobs are available both on and off campus, at wages that vary by position. A weekly paycheck is paid for the hours worked; these funds will not appear as a credit on the student’s bill.

New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
TAP is a grant available to New York State residents enrolled for at least 12 credit hours each semester.

Robert Noyce Scholars Program

The Robert Noyce Scholars Program responds to the critical need for mathematics and science teachers by encouraging talented science, technology, engineering and math students to pursue teaching careers in high need K-12 schools.

SU Scholarships
Syracuse University offers a variety of scholarships for entering and returning students.

SU Grants

Syracuse University offers grants (aid that does not have to be repaid) to students who demonstrate financial need. Eligibility is determined from information provided on the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE, and the availability of funds.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Syracuse University will contribute a portion of tuition for veterans enrolled in the Yellow Ribbon program, and the Veteran’s Affairs will match that same amount.