Syracuse University

International Students

International Students


We extend a special welcome to you as an international student applicant. A quarter of SU students come from countries other than the United States. That means you'll be learning alongside diverse students who understand and value the challenges and rewards of an intercultural education.

Below are links designed to help smooth your transition to SU. The checklist includes documents that you'll need to include as part of your application.

Start here: New International Student's Checklist

  • Syracuse University's Slutzker Center for International Services
    If you come to Syracuse from another country, the Lillian and Emanuel Slutzker Center for International Services (SCIS) will probably be the key office on campus for you. Upon arrival at SU, you'll meet with SCIS staff members to talk about immigration, coursework, financial matters, insurance, health care, travel, taxes, and housing. They'll also send you information about student orientation, housing, and class registration. Finally, SCIS is the University's official link with the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. Visit their website:
  • English Proficiency
    If your native language is not English, you may be required to submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS test (International English Language Testing Service). See the Program Requirements List for your program for more information.
  • Academic Credentials
    ONE copy of records of all previous postsecondary education is required. Contact the Registrars Office of each higher educational institution that you attended and have one copy of your transcript(s) sent to Syracuse University. All original transcripts must be translated in English and notarized by the Registrar's Office at the institution attended. All offers of admission from Syracuse University are conditional, pending receipt of official academic credentials showing that a U.S. bachelors degree (or equivalent) has been conferred upon the applicant.

    All official documentation must bear the appropriate signatures and seal of the institution that issued it and must be received by Syracuse University in a sealed envelope directly from that institution.

  • Equivalency of U.S. Bachelor's Degree
    An applicant to a graduate program at Syracuse University must provide official documentation of having earned at least a U.S. bachelors degree or its equivalent from another country before enrolling at Syracuse. Some programs require a masters degree and in such cases this must be officially documented before enrollment as well (often a minimum of three years of study beyond the B.S. degree is required for students pursuing a doctoral degree). International applicants must have graduated from colleges or universities that are recognized by the national educational authorities of their home countries.

    You may also submit a WES credential evaluation report ( to verify that your degree is equivalent to a U.S. bachelors degree..

    • The following are general guidelines for equivalents to a U.S. bachelor's degree:
      • Canada -- A three-year bachelor's degree from Quebec or a four-year bachelor's degree from the other provinces.
      • Latin America --A university degree requiring four years of study.
      • United Kingdom and countries following the British pattern --A bachelor's degree with honors.
      • France and countries following the French pattern --a licence if earned under the terms of the Bologna Declaration, otherwise a degree or diploma requiring four years of study after the baccalaureate, usually the Maitrise.
      • Germany --A Bakkalaureus degree if earned under the terms of the Bologna Declaration, otherwise completion of the diploma.
      • Other European countries -- A university degree requiring a minimum of three years of study, if earned under the terms of the Bologna Declaration, otherwise a university degree requiring a minimum of four years of study.
      • India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal --A bachelor's degree in engineering/technology or a master's degree in any other field.
      • Other Asian countries --A university degree requiring four years of study.
  • International Student Tuition Deposit Payment Instructions
    International students have the option of paying the tuition deposit by credit card. We accept MasterCard or Visa.
    • Download and print the payment form.
    • Complete all information on form.
    • Mail your check, money order, or credit card form with your Intent to Register Form to: Enrollment Management Processing Center ¿ Syracuse University Graduate Admissions P.O. Box 35060 Syracuse, New York 13235-5060
  • Special Awards for International Students

    The following are some agencies to which international students may apply to receive funding for graduate study:

    Institute for International Education (Fulbright Fellowship recipients)
    Study Abroad Programs Division, Institute for International Education,
    809 United National Plaza, New York, NY 10017, USA;
    phone: 212-883-8200; cable: INTERED; telex: ITT-422207, RCA-223363.

    Institute for International Education (Black South African students)
    South African Education Program, Institute for International Education,
    809 United National Plaza, New York, NY 10017, USA

    African American Institute (African students)
    833 United Nations Plaza, New York, NY 10017, USA;
    phone: 212-949-5666; cable: AFRAM; telex: 666-565

    Latin American Scholarship Program of American Universities (Latin American students)
    25 Mount Auburn Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA;
    phone: 617-495-5255;

  • Health Insurance

    If you are an international student, you'll need to show proof of health insurance for yourself and your families throughout your stay in the United States. See Syracuse University Health Services for all health-related requirements.

  • Employment
    • Immigration regulations limit part-time employment opportunities for international students. If you have an F-1 visa, you may work on campus without permission from U.S. immigration. However, you'll need obtain a statement from the Slutzker Center for International Services indicating you are able to work part time on campus during the academic year and full time during holidays and summers. The University's payroll department requires this statement in order for you to be approved to work on campus.
    • Normally, if you are an international students with an F-1 visa, you may not be employed off campus during the first calendar year in the United States. After the first 12 months, you may apply to U.S. immigration for permission to work off campus if you can prove an unexpected political or monetary crisis has caused changes in your financial circumstance. If approved, the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service issues an Employment Authorization Document as proof of your employment eligibility.

    Your sponsor may give you permission to work on or off campus, provided you are on an exchange-visitor (J-1) visa. If this is the case, you should request a letter of permission from your sponsors to be used by employers to authorize employment. Summer job opportunities are very few, and it is unusual for U.S. immigration to give permission for summer employment. With this in mind, we recommend that as an international student, you should arrange for summer financial support before coming to the United States.

    To ask about permission for employment, either on or off campus, and to find out current regulations about proof of employability, please contact the SCIS.

International Student Funding Requirements 

If you are an international applicant, and you are admitted, you'll need to show evidence of having secured sufficient funding for at least the first year of graduate study in order for Syracuse University to issue a visa eligibility document, which is required in order to have your student visa authorized. Visit the SU Financial Aid site for updated cost of attendance information for graduate students.

  • If you are a privately-sponsored applicant, you'll need to demonstrate acceptable evidence of your funding. This consists of a certified current bank statement on official bank letterhead, signed by an authorized bank official, that indicates sufficient funds exist to meet at least first-year expenses in U.S. dollars as per Syracuse University's current estimate.
  • If you are a government-sponsored applicant you'll need to submit an original award letter (or a certified copy of an award letter). The letter must state the annual amount of the award in U.S. dollars. All financial documents must be written in English and valid within one year of the start of the semester. You may fax the document per the instructions below.

If you'd like to fax funding documentation, please send them to 001-315-443-3423. Be sure to write your name, date of birth, name of the program you are applying to and your SUID number (if known) on all documents you send. You may wish to contact or visit the website of the Slutzker Center for International Students for additional information.

Other Helpful Links